Lucid Cityscape

  • At the garden party of my mom's friend Judy with Allen and Judy's daughter Lindsay. I agree to give Lindsay a ride to her boyfriend's house, the older brother of my friend Jeremy. We all get in my car and I drive out into the street. We're in Santa Rosa but as we turn the corner it looks like Santa Cruz. I want to go right but it's a one-way street so I have to go left and I get caught on a freeway on-ramp. Things get surreal as the road slopes up like the beginning of a rollercoaster. We go higher and higher until we are far above the tops of what looks like the skyscrapers of San Francisco. As we rapidly reach the apex of the ramp my car floats off the road due to inertia and we tumble out the sides of the car. I look down and find myself falling quickly towards the urban center. I'm terrified for an instant then turn to Allen in freefall beside me: "Allen, this is a dream! Look at your hand," (a technique for not waking up when you realize you're dreaming).

    We glide gently to the ground and discover the city is deserted. It's of little concern to us, however, because we are only interested in playing with the lucid dream reality. We practice flying, leaping from roofs. I notice that I fail at it when Allen fails and vice versa. When I see him make an unsuccessful attempt, my own will power to succeed suffers. Doubt enters my mind that flying is even possible. We discuss the phenomenon and determine that the limits of dream reality are directly related to our belief in what is possible/impossible. If I believe I can fly, I can. We decide we'll try to apply this philosophy to waking reality when we return there.

    Soon we get bored with flying and Allen decides to completely destroy the city. He rips buildings apart with his bare hands. I join in the fun and soon we've leveled most of the area as if it had been built of playing cards. I start to wake up in my bed and warn Allen...

  • I open my eyes for a moment, awake in bed, then close them and return to unconsciousness. I have a vision of a man dressed in baroque clothes, one foot tall, dancing in the air about a large man sitting in a theater. I hear the voice of my friend Thomas tell me that I'm watching The Adventures of Baron Munchausen.

  • I'm back in the city with Allen and he asks me where I went. I explain then he tells me we're not alone anymore. An evil man appears and attacks us violently. I'm not the least bit afraid and let him try to beat me up, then flick him over the horizon like a booger. We notice a strange, large building some distance away. I ask Allen, "Isn't that the sculpture you were talking about earlier?" He agrees and we begin to fly towards it: a huge white structure that reminds me of The Machine from the movie Contact.

  • I wake next to my love on a beach in Iceland. I tell her all about my lucid dream. Then I wake up for real.
I often have lucid dreams, but this one felt particularly vivid. Possible causes from last night: re-reading my Dream Logs on E2; meditating right before sleep.