VT100 is indeed old, but it is not without usefulness in this modern world. In fact, it is through a vt100 terminal emulation program that I am even able to write this.

Having been offline for some time, it seems fitting that I bring the internet back into my own personal space with such an archaic method. Based on the percieved delay from each keystroke I type, and the fact that I can read faster than the words unfold across the screen, I would say I'm connecting at around 300 Baud. I may be overestimating the incredible lag I'm experiencing here, but let's just say I logged into the free dial-up access number provided by the Maryland Library Community (whatever the hell that is), and logged into a shell account running Lynx, a text-only browser, over a half hour ago, and it's taken me this long to get here to type this message. I realize I have to go back and link everything, but I figure you all will understand that it's not easy accessing the way I'm accessing.

Ugh, this IS hard work. I'm afraid I'm going to disappear again until I find a better modem or go to the library when the sun comes up.

BTW, you may be interested to know some of the more esoteric details of exactly how I'm connected to the internet. I'm running a Cyrix 486 running around 40mhz, with only two floppy drives installed for disk space. There is NO hard drive. I boot up on a: which has a distribution of Pocket-Linux which loads a compressed image into 6 or so of the 8megs of ram in this baby. I then have to mount the second floppy, run a script on that floppy that copies /etc/termcap and a few other files lacking in this distro into their proper places, as well as copying minicom to /bin. I then run minicom, and give it the dial command, to which I enter a local access number provided by SAILOR www.sailor.lib.md.us.