The movers came yesterday, so the 57 boxes and furniture-but-not-anything-useful-to-sit-on are now here in Crooklyn. (I left North Carolina almost nine months ago, but I'm still in the process of moving). I've tried to split my time between a) porting the rickety Perl code of my website to no-need-for-my-constant-intervention Java, and b) unpacking. I made good progress on both fronts until hurting my back this morning (lifting inner classes can be dangerous!) -- so now both sets of tasks are too painful to do right now. As is this day log. I'll lay back down shortly, then probably code the rest of the day. (As I type this, I have to fight to keep from typing the Ctrl-X Ctrl-S for saving text in Emacs -- me am sick boy, boy who need vacation. I'm also on call, if The Corporation discovers some new last-minute boogs for fixting; I wonder if I can claim a sick day if they do call.)

I was awakened, around 8:00 AM, by the noise of a doorbell being pushed, and some knocking on a door; sound carries well in the long hallway, so I can hear everything going on. Being on the first floor, I hear the comings-and-goings of all my neighbors here. As it turns out, it was my quiet little doorbell being rung, with equally-quiet knocking, after the doorbell failed to get the tenant's attention. It was a refrigerator repairman, here to fix the since-December problem of my brand-new fridge freezing its contents. I'm not referring to the freezer, where such behavior is welcome, but the actual fridge, where the six-packs and pomegranites go.(I may diversify my diet later). He replaced the thermostat, and now I can go grocery shopping for the first time, once the doctors give me the OK for lifting boxes of Mini-Wheats again.

One thing I've been able to cross off my task list for today is laundry; I've discovered enough clean clothes (appropriately, in those boxes marked "clothes") to keep the laundromat at bay. I'd wanted to hook up two sets of amplifiers and speakers (one for the "studio apartment" -- i.e. the living room, and one for the "home office", which is actually supposed to be a bedroom) and connect the computers' sound outputs to them, but my back says "mañana, bro". I have one stereo set up, from last night, but need a coaxial adapter to get any decent reception from the FM tuner, the only component actually present at this point; I've been able to pick up WBAI on occasion (the soundtrack to my convalescence), but when the signal drops below a certain threshold, the audio goes blank, which is where it is at the moment.

But, then again, I belong to the Blank Generation. This is a fine soundtrack, yes.




I HAVE PERSONALLY EXAMINED THIS WRITEUP TO INSURE ALL ASPECTS MEET OUR HIGH QUALITY STANDARDS.


INSPECTOR'S NAME    ROSA    #40433

PLEASE USE MY NAME AND INSPECTION NUMBER WHEN REFERRING IN ANY WAY TO THIS WRITEUP

THANK YOU FOR READING ONE OF OUR PRODUCTS