As much as I love E2 and would on some secret evil level love to keep this place only open to people who know exactly what they’re doing ... anotherone’s suggestion here seems a smiiiiiiiiiiiidge rigid. I only joined up a month ago, and I learned things like basic html tags by using them. I gleaned terms like soft link by skimming the FAQ and Everything University, but I really only picked up gems like Death Borg by watching the Chatterbox and trying to figure out what the hell was going on. If I had had to have everything I wrote submitted to a proofreading editor first, I doubt I would have written anything. I also probably wouldn’t have written even nearly as much horrible crap as I did in my first two days, but then again I wouldn’t have had the chance to learn for myself that my crap was horrible crap and start writing decent stuff.

The first week I was on E2 was the most educational week of my life in terms of my development as a writer, and it was that way because I had to wade through the system and figure the damn thing out.

It’s easy to look down now and say ‘Wow, new users are stupid.’ I do that at my work at a computer help desk every day. (OK, mind you, in general my new users really are stupid.) But I’m new enough here to say hey, give them some credit, and to generally realize that talking down to them and making them go through hoops ... well, it would have felt kind of belittling to me, anyway. We don’t hide our belief in the power structure here. It takes quite a place to actually call the head honchos gods. But that’s all part of the fun. That inspires us to reach for godhood ourselves. Calling newbies dirty names. That inspires disgruntled masses.

Sorry, I’m probably overreacting. But in general, here in my authority-bucking days of youth, I hate being told what to do. And this whole proposed system rubs me the wrong way as kind of patronizing. We may be (well, in most of our cases, have) gods. But that doesn’t mean we always know what we’re doing, or that anybody else is going to believe we do either. I respect gods and editors b/c their writeups rock and they give me useful criticism. Not because I was physically subservient to them in my infancy.

On a brighter note, things like a more informative first email and a couple extra kicks in the ass to try to get new noders to read the FAQ and the University (admit it, these docs are HUGE and people are lazy) would be a really really good idea. I also champion the idea of some reinforcement to get new noders to stick to Noder Nursery. I sure as hell didn’t, but that’s because nobody else was there and I felt stupid for being there all by myself when all the cool people were Outside ;)

Niftiness.