My version of cauliflower soup. It adapts well to other vegetables, e.g. broccoli or fennel, or even celery. This is a very thick, very flavourful soup. And easy to make...

Ingredients:

Method:

Saute the chopped cauliflower in the butter until nicely browned, soft, and crumbling at the floret tips. (You can do this in the pot you'll be cooking in later, and don't worry about size: if all the cauliflower fits now, it will reduce enough to accomodate the extra liquid later.) It should take around 15 minutes. In the process, add the nutmeg and a very generous grinding of pepper.

Add the wine, and simmer gently until it all absorbs and evaporates. That's another 15 minutes or so.

Transfer to the food processor, add a cup of water, and process until no lumps remain. Pour the stock in the pot (or just make the soup there, if you're using instant soup -- which you should!), return the ground cauliflower, and bring to a simmer.

Simmer another 15-20 minutes, until the soup achieves a soft and uniform consistency. You can add water now to thin the soup, but the heavy creaminess is part of the appeal. Stir in the brandy.

Serve with yoghurt. Just before serving, stir in a heaped tbsp. for each bowl.