Pesach is Hebrew for "pass over." The name commemorates the night of the tenth plague, the slaying of the firstborn. God told the Children of Israel (through Moses) that if they sacrificed a lamb and painted its blood on the doorposts of their homes, the angel of death would pass over their houses and spare their children. Practically speaking, this was probably also a good time for a sacrifice / feast, because they were about to flee Egypt and wouldn't be able to take their livestock with them. In the modern seder, the sacrifice is commemorated by the roast shankbone on the table. The word Pesach may also be extended to refer to the sacrificial lamb itself.

The adjective form of "Pesach" is paschal. Which in English can refer to either Passover or Easter. The French name and word pascal also means Easter.

On the equation of Passover with Easter, note that the Christian holiday of Easter occurs around the same time of year, that its story is set during Passover, and that it commemorates a similar sacrifice. In the New Testament, John derides the Passover sacrifice as having merely saved lives, whereas the sacrifice of Christ saved immortal souls.


Thanks to Maayan for pointing out an inaccuracy in the original version of this post.