Suspension is a form of temporary body modification, or body play ritual, where a person is suspended in the air from flesh hooks which are placed in deep piercings. These piercings are usually made with traditional piercing needles, which are followed through with hooks. It is also possible, however, to create the piercings with the hooks themselves, as is often done in performances or in ritualized contexts. After the hooks are inserted, they are then attached with rope to a metal frame, or suspension rig, in a way such that the weight of the body is evenly distributed among the hooks.

The placement of these hooks on the body determines the style of suspension, and position of the body while suspended. The more hooks that are used, the less the pressure on each point. Thus, the use of several hooks can lend to a more comfortable suspension.

Suspension types inclue:

  • Suicide suspension: The most common style of suspension. The body is hung vertically from anywhere between one and six hooks placed across the upper back.


  • Chest suspension or O-kee-pa: Generally considered the most painful form of suspension, the body is hung vertically from one or more hooks placed across the chest. This is similar to the Native American rite referred to as "O-kee-pa". Many consider it disrespectful to refer to regular chest suspensions by this name, unless it is accompanied by the full set or rituals and intentions that are used in traditional O-kee-pa rituals. Many people may recognise this ritual from a scene in the movie A Man Called Horse


  • Superman suspension: The body is hung horizontally from several (usually ten) hooks placed along the back of the body, creating an effect which looks as if the suspendee is flying.


  • Coma suspension: The body is hung horizontally from several (usually ten) hooks placed along the front of the body, so the suspendee hangs face-up.


  • Lotus suspension: The body is hung in the yogic "lotus" position, or cross-legged, supported by hooks in the back and legs.


  • Tandem suspension: A form of suspension where a second person is suspended from hooks placed in another, already suspended person. In order to minimize cross-contamination, blood bowls are placed on the ropes between the two people, preventing any blood from travelling down the rope and contaminating the person on the bottom.


  • Variations: There are several variations to these positions which are accomplished by adjusting the position and number of hooks, or by adding additional ones.


While increasing in popularity, suspension is by no means a contemporary practice. Body suspension and other related body rituals have been perormed by various cultures for thousands of years.

There are several suspension groups operating throughout the world who facilitate suspensions for those interested, in a safe and controlled manner. Suspension group members are most often professionals in the body modification industry.

Suspension groups include: Rites of Passage, TSD, and I Was Cured.

There are several different reasons why people chose to suspend themselves. Some do it for the pure adrenaline or endorphin rush, and some do it for spiritual reasons, or as a rite of passage. Some choose to suspend in order reclaim control of their body, or to prove to themselves that they can overcome the limitations of pain and fear. Whatever the reason may be, most people choose to suspend for the experience, and what they learn about themselves from it.