The common misconception about Robert Frost's poem The Road Not Taken is that Frost is advocating becoming a non-conformist and telling people that when they are confronted with one of two (or any number) of choices to pick "the one less traveled by," the unconventional one, and to reject the normal way of doing things.

The meaning behind Frost's poem is not that the narrator of the work takes "the one less traveled by," because as he even previously admits, the two roads had both been traveled "really about the same."

The point of the poem is presented most clearly in the last 3 lines. The narrator is the one who makes the choice and says that "I - I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." The fact that the narrator made a choice, and made it on his own is what matters; which path he chose means nothing.

Frost also presents the self-doubt that the narrator feels immediately after having made his choice. The narrator spends days as he is walking along the path of his choice constantly thinking of what might have been had he walked down the other path. This is representative of the way in which people tend to look back to think about how things might have been so much better had they only made one choice differently so many years ago. Yet the narrator of Frost's poem is obviously somewhere in the future lamenting on the choice that he made, and he has made the realization that it never mattered which path he chose, because no one can know what good or bad things may have happened if they had made one choice differently. Frost realizes this and tries to tell us, through his poem, that we should not waste our time reliving past choices and second-guessing ourselves. We should be proud that we stood up and made a choice. We have all (hopefully) made choices that we knew would influence the rest of our lives (wheather we knew it at the time or in hindsight) and it is the fact that we have made a choice that "has made all the difference."