Anthemis nobilis - English Chamomile | Matricaria chamomillia - German Chamomile

Also spelled camomile

A plant of the genus Anthemis. There are numerous varieties of the chamomile daisy, and on superficial levels they look similar. They have fine feathery leaves, and tiny daisy heads, with white down-turned petals and a golden yellow center. However some of their uses can differ.

Anthemis nobilis, otherwise known as English chamomile is the most commonly used variety. It grows as a creeping groundcover. The foliage has a faint apple scent. Matricaria chamomillia, otherwise known as German chamomile, is different botanically, and is a hardier plant. It should be noted that both the varieties I have mentioned have identical qualities, with the exception of German chamomile oil being more potent than English chamomile.

The open flower head of the herb is the part used. Chamomile has many medicinal qualities. Chamomile is an extremely good source of calcium. As a tea, chamomile is used for nerves and menstrual cramps. The tea can also be useful for babies and young children with stomach troubles and colds, and is also know to relieve teething problems, and colic. Chamomile provides wonderful relief for morning sickness during pregnancy. It is also a great aid for digestion, and relieves allergies, much as an antihistamine would. Chamomile tea is great for calming the body, and can induce sleep for sufferers of insomnia. It can be used as an eyewash. And is effective for use as an antiseptic in cleaning and refreshing open sores. It also speeds up the healing process of skin ulcers, wounds, or burns.

The chamomile flower heads are cut from the stems and dried. Although chamomile is not often used in cooking, the foliage of Anthemis nobilis can be chopped, and stirred into butter or sour cream that is used to top baked potatoes. There is also a Spanish wine flavoured with chamomile known as 'manzanilla', which means little apple. Chamomile tea has a very sweet taste, and putting aside its use for medicinal purposes, is the favourite herbal tea of many people. This is quite possibly due to it lacking the bitter taste that is associated with some herbs.

Chamomile has some religious qualities. It is can be used in prosperity charms to attract money. Is added to incense, to produce a relaxed state for better meditation. When burned alone it will induce sleep. Added to a ritual bath, it is said to attract love. And when sprinkled around your property, will remove curses and bad spells. Chamomile essential oil can be used in an oil burner to create a sense of calm in a room.

Chamomile flowers can be found at herbal wholesalers, and some health food stores. The tea can be found in most grocery stores, health food stores, or herbal suppliers. Chamomile essential oil isn't as popular as many other oils, but can usually be found if you look hard enough.

You may also choose to grow your own chamomile. It adapts to most soils, likes lots of water and full sun. Chamomile is great for herb gardens, or infact any garden. It has been referred to as 'the plants physician', due to the fact that it will improve the condition of many ailing plants or shrubs when planted nearby. English chamomile being a groundcover also makes an excellent chamomile lawn, Falstaff in King Henry IV part I quotes, 'The more it is trodden on the faster it grows'. Chamomile is definitely a must for any herb garden, seeds and seedlings can be found at any garden supplier or nursery.