This node title put me in mind of my teenage years, when we would have tried anything to get high. We'd smoke or eat weird stuff, and end up with blinding headaches and sore throats, but we never tried smoking tea...but I digress.

These days, my adventurous side turns more often to culinary pursuits. I was intrigued by the good sneff's recipe for smoked tomatoes and thought I'd try it out for an antipasto platter I was constructing to accompany an Amarone. The tomatoes were very nice, but I'd like to add to sneff's excellent instructions a few words of warning and clarification, if I may.

Sneff's recipe recommends smoking the tomatoes for 10-15 minutes, but I did mine for a mere 5 minutes, which was enough to impart a strong flavour.

The smoke can escape from the smoker and set your smoke detector a-wailing. It helps to have bits that fit tightly together to contain the smoke, and I also deployed carefully placed fans to lead the smoke out the window. I won't be preparing this in the winter.

Finally, the pots and dish that you use for smoking will get covered in brown guck which can be difficult to clean off, so don't use your best china or top-of-the-line cookware.

Other than that, it worked like a dream. I used organic green tea and jasmine rice, with beautiful summer tomatoes, and the results were excellent. Another winner from sneff, the king of ching.