On Monday, I wore jeans to work as usual.

On Tuesday, I thought sod it: the weather's nice and sunny, I'm a woman and there's no reason why I shouldn't wear a skirt to work. I somehow took a step back in my confidence a few years ago when I went from almost exclusively wearing skirts to almost exclusively wearing trousers. So I wore one of my ankle-length skirts. This wasn't a particularly good idea considering how much harder it made it to walk up the hill where I live, on top of me being slightly nervous and paranoid that I looked too masculine to pull it off.

So on Wednesday and Thursday, I wore one of my denim miniskirts instead. I could walk properly, and it showed off my knee-high wedge boots much better. (If the opinion of a co-worker from a previous job was any indication, apparently my legs were worth showing off, too.) Whenever I looked in the mirror, I thought I looked attractive. Sexy, even. I think I was worried about whether it was too short more than about whether people realised I was a woman. It wasn't too short, anyway. I could only just touch my black opaque tights with my fingertips if I put my arms at my sides.

I think this week was the first time I'd ever worn a skirt to my current job, and I've been working there for over two years now. After so long feeling jealous of other women who were more confident than I had become, I finally just did it and decided to look nice; attractive; desirable. I felt confident and liked how I looked. Maybe I am an attractive young woman after all. I didn't appear to be getting any strange looks from passers by, at least. For the first time in years, I was smiling to strangers not out of politeness, but because I was genuinely happy. Some even smiled back. I vividly remember a woman with platted pigtails giving me a lovely, warm smile as I left the train on the commute back home.

On Friday, I wore jeans again, for variety. I'm sure I'll wear skirts much more often from now on though, if not quite exclusively this time. While walking to the station, the woman who returned my smile on the train the previous day pulled up in her car and offered me a lift. I wouldn't normally accept a lift from a stranger, but she had such an honest face and such a warm smile that I accepted her offer. We got talking and I gave her my e-mail address. By the end of the day we'd sent a few e-mails back and forth. It turns out she's a vegan too, which is a pretty amazing coincidence. I appear to have made a new friend just by being confident and happy.

On Saturday, I went shopping for some more clothes, including another short skirt. After all these years, I'm still not entirely used to the freedom of being able to wear clothes that suit me without being hassled. Every time I shop for clothes, though, I get slightly less nervous about seeming out of place. I'm finally even starting to enjoy the experience, like I ought to.

Sometimes cisgendered people ask transsexuals how they knew their journey had finally come to an end, when they had finally fully transitioned. It's been years since I had the main surgery. I'll let you know if I ever stop being nervous because of my past.