Star Wreck is a Finnish parody of Star Trek, created by Samuli Torssonen.

So far, Samuli and the rest of the gang have done six movies.


The first one (called simply Star Wreck) was made in 1992, had run time of 4 minutes, and was made with Deluxe Animation. "The story is bad, the graphics are bad, the sounds are bad and the so called acting is very bad. This is a classic!" Yep. It's so unbelieveably bad that it's actually bloody hilarious. Don't worry, it's better than some other bad SF movies =)


The second, third and fourth movies (1994, 1995, 1996) had much more effort - these movies actually had 3D animation and all sorts of other cool stuff. They also had a plot. (Well, the second movie's plot is very weak, but that's an early attempt, anyway...)

"Space, the first frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Kickstart. Its five-month mission: To seek out more room for humanity and destroy enemies. To boldly go to destroy enemies in a piece of space junk where no ape would have dared to go to."

- Captain Pirk in Star Wreck 2: The Old Shit

Star Wreck 2: The Old Shit is still not very great as a movie. No real plot, and acting is still rather bad (not as bad as in SW1). Basically, Pirk & co go fight three Plingon ships and tell jokes. Rather immature slapstick humor...

Yet, many important characters get "canonized" here: Captain Pirk, mr. Fukov and lt. Spökö ("Spook" in English version) appear here. Also, Rudi Airisto cowrote the script - and has been cowriting it since then.


"I can temporarily freeze the twistcore breach, but I will need the most powerful freezer on the ship, a small length of yo-yo string, a couple of two-by-fours and a piece of bubble gum."

- Lt. Spook in Star Wreck 3: The Wrath of Romuclans

Star Wreck 3: The Wrath of Romuclans had a lot better plot. It's also probably the single most funniest movie in the series... Pirk and the rest of the people swear so much it goes over the top without annoying anyone (I mean, really, they said "helvetti" 4 times during one minute in the beginning, that's excessive...), and I laugh uncontrollably every time I see the encrypted message. =) Also, the final space fight scene is pretty cool considering then-even-more-limited systems. In this part, Pirk goes to investigate a Romuclan outpost, and then defends their own Gamma sector outpost against a massive Romuclan attack.


"Goddamn it! Shields up! Gimme a half-Immelmann!"

- Hans Duo in Star Wreck 4: The Kilpailu

Star Wreck 4: The Kilpailu is yet better. This time, the characters are done with 2D animation (previous movies had 3D and some 2D animations over them...) Pirk gets promoted to the rank of Admilar, gets Lt. Info and Lt. Dwarf under his command, and the lot gets a diplomatic mission - competition to find out who gets to trade with the Zarquons. The best part of this movie would probably be the Plingon language... and more "canonic" characters. (Lt. Dwarf was called "Wuh" in the Finnish soundtrack, though, but has been called Dwarf in later movies.)

The only problem is that only a low-quality movie file has been preserved, and no multi-track sound is available. It's unlikely that this part is going to be put on DVD as it is - it's impossible to remove the copyrighted soundtrack. The production team is considering redoing the character bits on bluescreen and redoing the sound recording - that'll probably look and sound better than the original.

(Oh, and the soundtrack uses one tune from Mechwarrior 2 too. Cool!)


Lt. Spook: "Live long and prosper."
Cochbrane: "Uh... live fast, die young, dudes."

- Star Wreck V: Lost Contact

The fifth movie (1997) - Star Wreck V: Lost Contact - was completely different: It was the first movie to have live action (Samuli Torssonen as Captain Pirk, Timo Vuorensola as Commander Dwarf, Antti Satama as Mr. Info, Rudi Airisto as rock star Jeff Cochbrane and Nina Karppinen as a Korg queen - others as extras). Acting is acceptable for an amateur movie. 3D effects are really cool. Story has been more or less ripped from First Contact - the Korgs go to the past and blow up Woodstock '99, and the Kickstart crew need to convince Cochbrane to do the musical performance that helps the Vulgars to note the advances of human technology. Considering the budget, the quality of the movie is amazing. Oh yeah, and the Korgs were fairly easy to beat with a certain deadly computer virus released in 1995... =)


Star Wreck 4½: Weak Performance (2000), the sixth movie, was a "prequel" of sorts. The image quality is as great as in part 5, and even better - the CGI has got even cooler. They have included footage from previous "productions", too... (The movie from which the scenes were taken was described by them as one of the worst movies of the world.) The plot condensed: Pirk goes to have a halludeck simulation fight with a weird moster, and meanwhile the ship gets attacked by Romuclans.


The following part, Star Wreck VI: In The Pirkinning (2004) will be released in DVD format and it's going to be a full-length movie (previous parts were around 30 minutes each). Judging from the two teasers and the trailer, music and production photos, they've made a great job this time, and I will definitely buy the DVD once it comes out. This time, they're making everything (including music) themselves, so they have the right to sell it.


All in all, Star Wreck is a parody that's definitely worth checking out. This stuff is, as I would put it, dedicated.

Home page: http://starwreck.peliportti.net/ - The web page has all parts that they've produced so far in MPEG and Windows Media Player format... with Finnish soundtrack and English subtitles. Also, SW6 has a web page here: http://www.starwreck.com/


There are also other projects with this name, of course...