The way that anglophones can remember their "lefts" from their "rights" is to hold both hands out from the body, with the palm facing away, to close the hands into fists, then to lift the pointing finger(2) and the thumb(1) of each hand. Looking at these hands, only one forms the letter "L". That is the "L"eft hand.

For a majority, too, the right hand is the one with which we right. Rather, the write hand is the...

Also, it is possible, as long as we can remember that reading most anything in roman characters, to remember that one scans the page from the left to the right. In this sense, one can then remember that the smaller numbers (closer to negative infinity) are at the left, and the larger (closer to infinity) are at the right. At this point, one can allow the X-axis of the (in?)famous Cartesian plane to manifest itself in the mind. This allows any relative graph to have left and right as perpendicular to our established "ups" and "downs".

Further, the brain can be divided into left and right to define function. Politics can be divided into left and right to express ideology. You have many mnemonics. One not to use is the shoe; putting on the right (correct) shoe means that the other is left (behind).

Sinister and dexter are another story however.