Aladdin is a popular English pantomime, based roughly on the Arabian Nights story. It changes jokes, scenes, characters, and, of course, cameos every production, but the basic story usually stays about the same.

The evil Egyptian Sorcerer Abanazar has plans to take over the world, but his magic ring has limitations -- it can do a few minor tricks, but the real magic powerhouse is a lamp-dwelling djinn living in a cave in Peking. One wrinkle, the cave can only be entered by this one kid, Aladdin.

We fly ahead to Peking, where we meet a potentially quite large cast: Aladdin; his mother, a laundress known as Widow Twankey (traditionally played by a man); his brother Wishee Washee (now often written Wishy Washy, to look less racist); and sometimes Nobby the Panda, a mute sidekick to Wishee Washee. We shortly thereafter meet Princess Jasmine, her father the Emperor, and her maid Su-Shee or So-Shy (sometimes a non-speaking role); here we also find members of the imperial guard, which includes at least two comic guards named Ping and Pong, and often the Head of the Guard. One way or another the princess meets Aladdin, and they fall in love.

The Emperor drags Princess Jasmine back to the palace; and Abanazar arrives in Peking and tells Aladdin that he has a way for him to marry the princess -- just help him loot the magic cave, and he'll be rich! Abanazar fights with Aladdin and ends up locking him in the cave with the lamp, so Aladdin wishes his way out. Aladdin's plan to win over the and Emperor usually involves showing up with lots of gold and jewels, which works wonderfully, and they start planning a wedding.

But just before the ceremony, Abanazar shows up again, this time in the guise of a tramp trading old lamps for new. He tricks the princess and/or Su-Shee and/or Widow Twankey into making the trade. As the most powerful being in the universe, he immediately kidnaps the princess (this is generally not foreshadowed, and no reason is given; he just likes the princess now). Everyone chases him back to Egypt, and there is a showdown with lots of slapstick and audience participation. Naturally, the good guys win, Aladdin and the Princess marry, and everyone sings a happy song. Fin.

All of this is highly flexible, with cast and plots changing depending on the producer and director's whims, time constraints, budget, and the amount of innuendo judged most appropriate for the current audience (this is usually a fair amount).

While this is a traditional panto with lots of audience participation and lots of silly jokes and banter -- a lot of it geared to entertain the parents in the audience -- in recent years panto has moved more and more onto TV, and then onto CBeebies. As this does not require the parents to accompany their children to the show, the scripts have become more and more mild, and the shows shorter. Plenty of local theaters keep the traditional forms alive, however, and Aladdin, Peter Pan, Dick Whittington, Jack and the Beanstalk, and many other traditional pantos are still performed, especially around the Christmas and New Year season.