The situation surrounding the sinking of the Lusitania is quite extraordinary. Before purchasing tickets, passengers had been warned in the Lusitania's advertisements that by riding on the Lusitania they risked their lives. The following are excerpts from the notice posted along with the Lusitania's adds in American newspapers, which consisted of a notice from the Imperial German Embassy.

"Travellers intending to embark on the Atlantic voyage are reminded that a state of war exists between Germany and her allies and Great Britain and her allies; that the zone of war includes the waters adjacent to the British Isles; that in accordance with notice given by the Imperial German government, vessels flying the flag of Great Britain, or of any of her allies, are liable to destruction in those waters and that travellers sailing in the war-zone on ships of Great Britain or her allies do so at their own risk."

Personally, I don't think I’d take my vacation on a ship that posted that notice along with its advertisements. However, Americans, acting as defiant as ever, completely ignored this notice and pushed forth with their vacation. Go figure. That's Americans at their best, exhibiting the typical 'It'll never happen to me' attitude.