The possibility that a civilization of women could exist without the assistance, protection, or need of men in today’s society is considered unthinkable. In Ancient Greece however, the idea was a very possible one. The name Amazon comes from the Greek word meaning missing one breast. In Greek mythology it is said that they were descendants of the god of war Ares and the naiad Harmonia. Legend says they came from the area around the Caucasus Range and were of Scythian origin and eventually settled on the bank of the Thermodon River in Asia Minor. They were always depicted as being foreign, and thus as with any other foreign tribe, seen as barbarians by the Greeks. Two ways they are said to strengthen the population of their tribe were going to the neighboring Gargarean men once a year and keeping men as slaves for the sole purpose of mating. Male children born of these unions were either sent back to the Gargareans or killed.

Their society was one ruled entirely by women and had two queens, one for defense and one for domestic affairs and they shared sovereignty jointly. They fought on foot and by horse carrying crescent shields and using spears, bows, and axes. As an infant, they had their right breast seared off to enable them to draw a bow or throw a javelin with greater ease. It is said that they were particularly devoted to the goddess of hunting, Artemis.

Tales of the Amazons were in the earliest of Greek stories. Homer mentions them and through his tale it is implied that his targeted listeners were familiar with them. When the Greeks arrived in the Thermodon region and found no evidence of Amazons they assumed that it was either because they were driven off or that Heracles (Hercules) had destroyed all of them. Because of the former, in later legends the Amazons were placed farther and farther away from their place of origin.

Most pictures depict them as single-breasted women in middle of battle. Literature describes them as brave and daring fighters who could be defeated by only by superior Greek heroes such as Heracles and Achilles. They were never shown in a cowardly light and were said to be courageous and loyal to their own, often bringing their injured companions in from battle and often risking their own lives to help others.

During the earliest period of art, they were depicted as being dressed like warriors and with only one breast. After the Persian Wars though, they were represented in oriental garb and wearing caps and trousers. These pictures related different elements of their legends and never were they shown with only a single breast.

One of the most popular scenes in literature is the battle between Heracles and Hippolyte the Queen of the Amazons. This battle took place as one of Heracles twelve labors. Queen Hippolyte had a special piece of armor which was a leather belt given to her by Ares, the war god, in honor of her fighting abilities. She wore this belt across her chest and used it to carry her sword and spear. Eurystheus wanted Hippolyte's belt as a present to give to his daughter, and thus sent Hercules to bring it back.

Heracle’s friends jumped to his aid in case there was a battle. Upon reaching them Hippolyte came to them and asked why he had come. After telling her his mission, she agreed to give it to him. The goddess Hera however disguised herself as an Amazon and went to the village and told Hippolyte’s subjects that Heracles was kidnapping the queen. When he saw the women in armor, Heracles killed Hippolyte and took her belt from her. In a long grueling battle the Greeks were able to escape and en route to Mycenae, Heracles stopped at Troy to deliver the belt.

One explanation for the legend of Amazons is that they may have been armed slave-girls who served Asian deities. While the association between the Amazons and Artemis supports this, it is probably an elaboration of matriarchal tribes in Anatolia or other tribes in which women led a freer life than in Greece.