I've been through a lot lately with my health (as many of you know). To add insult to injury I found out that the lactose-free ice cream that I thrive on has been discontinued. Faced with no other easily available frozen treat, I've taken the plunge and bought an ice cream maker.

Over the weekend I bought a Rival model 1.5 quart ice cream maker. It doesn't require salt; just some milk and vanilla ice cream mix (which only contains vanilla, food starch, and salt). The majority of the device must be frozen before use, and this afternoon it was ready to go. I poured in the mixture, added some carob chips, and let it run. Forty minutes later I had ice cream.

The next experiment will be adding carob powder to the mixture to produce carob ice cream. Beyond that I'm not sure what else to try. The machine has a small loading slot on the top for adding fun ingredients to create different flavors and varieties of ice cream. I have a recipe for a safe butterscotch topping I want to try, and I could always add some strawberry syrup to produce strawberry ice cream. If I want to get crazy I can make three seperate loads of ice cream - vanilla, carob, and strawberry - to produce Neopolitan. I might even add Ensure to the mixture to make healthy ice cream.

It's true: if you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled war-themed daylog