This is a delicious side dish that will impress your dinner guest(s). It takes a bit of work but everyone will be asking for the recipe. You can serve this under grilled boneless skinless chicken breasts. This is my recipe for Mushroom and Spinach Risotto. I just made a batch the day I'm posting the recipe so I figured I should add it here for you to enjoy.

The Ingredients:

  • 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
  • 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 lb fresh portobello mushrooms
  • 1 lb fresh white mushrooms
  • 2 shallots
  • 1.5 cups arborio rice
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine
  • 12 leaves of fresh spinach
  • 4 tbsp butter
  • 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, fresh grated is best
  • Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste

The Magic:
  1. Warm 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large saucepan or a wok over medium-high burner. 
  2. Slice all mushrooms thin and put all of the mushrooms in and stir constantly, cooking until all are soft. Can take three to four minutes. Put into a large bowl with any liquids.
  3. Dice the shallots and add them and the other two tbsp of olive oil to the wok or saucepan. Cook one minute, moving them constantly.
  4. Add the rice and stir until all the grains have a coating of oil, cooking for two minutes until the rice is a light golden color.
  5. Add the wine to the rice, stirring constantly until absorbed by the rice.
  6. Add in 1/2 cup of broth, continuing to stir until absorbed. Do not let the rice dry out.
  7. Continue to add in 1/2 cup and stirring as above until all of the broth has been added and the rice is cooked and al dente.
  8. Remove from heat, stir in the mushrooms with juice, butter, and Parmesan.
  9. Tear or chop the spinach leaves into small pieces and add to the pan, stirring until coated.
  10. Add salt and pepper to taste, transfer to serving dish. Serve hot.

This takes a lot of work, especially the constant stirring, but it will impress your family or guests. As noted in an above node it is best eaten fresh, but if you have any leftovers, you can stir-fry them with some diced chicken or thinly sliced pork and slivered carrots in olive oil.