Workout log for January 4, 2010 through January 10, 2010

Tuesday, January 5, 2010: I don't know the last time I've had a run that was just this awful. I tried to run at the gym at school, which features an eighth-mile track. I know for a fact I can run at least 4.5 miles on it without succumbing to boredom. Unfortunately, I made it 0.5 miles before I had to stop because my legs felt so cramped I thought I was going to cry. I stopped, stretched, and walked a lap, then ran another 2 miles before I had to stop. Everything from my hips down was wound so tight that stopping and walking was even more uncomfortable than running, but running was impossible. It was like that moment right before a charlie horse starts to hurt. I have no idea what happened, but I don't like it at all.

Sunday, January 10, 2010: I skipped all the runs I was supposed to take this week and tried to take some anti-inflammatories, iced my shins, and drink water in preparation for another go. I tried to do a 6 mile loop with a classmate and her dog. I made it roughly 1-2 miles before I had to stop with cramps. I walked for about a minute, ran until I hurt too bad, and walked. This went on until the end, where I finished up about the last 2 miles without stopping but in extreme discomfort. When driving home I could feel my scalp fasciculating. New goal: Continue the pain meds, drink a hell of a lot more Powerade, start taking a multivitamin, and buy some bananas. Will start with a very short run again on Tuesday if everything feels all right.

Side Notes: I know I am not the first one to struggle mentally with a run. In fact, in a recent poll on Runner's World, people identified that giving up and thinking they aren't doing enough are the top two mental challenges that people face. I fought so hard on my long run to keep going, but it was nearly impossible. I tried to pace my friend, I tried to yell at myself, I tried cajoling, and the sad and unfortunate truth is that no amount of mental fortitude is going to be able to overcome severe and possible injurious physical discomfort. It is a hard lesson for me to try to not force it. The best I can hope is that if I fix my micronutrient levels and stretch out well before this week of runs, I can get back on track for my race. There is nothing so utterly defeating as the thought that all of your preparation is for nothing. So I'm not going to think about it. I'm just going to do it.