On Saturday nights I usually stay in and read Victorian poetry so, to be honest, I wasn't sure if I wanted to leave the comforts of my bed warmer for the chilly glamour of the capital.

It was Dimview who convinced me that I should go. (She gave me a C! or two in the past so naturally I trust her judgment.)

Wntrmute was very kind to offer to meet up some time in advance so that I wouldn't be confronted with a room full entirely of strangers. As an immigrant, I'm used to being confronted with whole countries full entirely of strangers so I thought I could handle a room of noders. Even if some of them happen to be gods, mathematicians or wearers of groovy shirts (you know who you are, DTal).

The Debutante was also reassuring. She said that it is always wonderful to have new faces at these events, which seemed to promise some dark and mysterious ritual of initiation... I don't know, maybe burning an effigy of Wiki or being allowed to meddle with some code? Or, knowing my luck, a game of Boggle.

Finally, my part-time mentor also encouraged me to go. He even took the time to send me a message the day before saying: Behave yourself. I don't want to read about you on Monday morning. I think he meant E2 rather than the national press but the clear sense of concern was very touching.

I don't think I've let him down. Still, I rather enjoyed myself. And although there were no dark or mysterious rites involved (unless you count the washing-up), Wntrmeet 2008 more than lived up to my expectations.

So cheers to: Berek, diotina, DTal, Gnarl, La petite mort, Oolong, sam512, The Debutante and Wntrmute. Keep warm.