Bone bruise is not an 'official' medical term. (Doctors prefer fancy Latin terms like edema.) It refers, as you might expect, to pain or soreness that seems to come from a deep injury on or near the bone. It is often accompanied by a sensation of contusion or swelling, often on an area like an elbow, shin or pelvic bone. It sometimes follows a 'compressive injury' (a.k.a. 'a good solid whack') but other times no specific incident seems to cause it.

A bone bruise may reflect an actual injury to the periosteum, which will calcify and heal over time. It may also reflect any number of other causes. Unlike a surface bruise it is very difficult to see and identify the problem, in the absence of a fracture or other problem which an x-ray or ultrasound will reveal.

Nothing on Everything2 should be considered medical advice. (I'd be damn careful about following any advice I received here, actually.) Consult with your own medical doctor before making any decisions about your health. See also Everything2 medical disclaimer.