Last Month

I'm sorry for missing the last entry in this series. Life has been a bit hectic for me. This log is going to be very short for now, though I may expand it later if time permits and/or events warrant.

A year in the saddle

I've had the "Editor in Chief" role for about a year now and I have enjoyed it. E2's users make it pretty easy, most days. We've made some good changes, perhaps not as many or as dramatic as some would wish. I've always been a maintenance programmer/manager — I'm an incrementalist by nature. I'm not going to lead the revolution that brings about huge and dramatic change. Yet we will keep improving and trying new things in 2007.

Admin team changes

It's time for the semi-annual Content Editor (CE) rotation. Stepping down from the team are icicle, Servo5678, izubachi, sekicho, IWhoSawTheFace, Bitriot, smartalix, allseeingeye, and doyle, mostly due to real life commitments that have made them unable to stay active on the site. Thanks to all for their time and efforts, whether they be long-serving admins or relatively new recruits. Some may return to the role in the future. Also, grundoon moved to the e2gods team, and can now help with title changes and work with various other e2gods-only controls.

This leaves the CE team significantly under strength, so again I'm looking for new recruits. What I'd like to try this time is asking for your recommendations of other noders (not yourselves). What e2 user inspires you? Content Editors should, first and foremost, be good writers — people who you would be happy to have review and comment on your work, because they participate in the writing of the site and do it well. They also need to exhibit good judgment: tolerance and respect of others, openness to new ideas, a passion for the site. Do you know someone like this? Recommend them, by private msg, email, or write a daylog if you want to make the case in public. I'm curious to see if any names will pop up repeatedly, hopefully from different parts of the e2 community.

I'll review these and choose from among them. Not everyone will be selected, and I'm not going to engage in public debate about folks that don't get picked. Some folks may not want the job, either. CE is a job, not a perk, and needs volunteers who want to help other e2 users succeed and grow.

Site improvements?

Several kind folks, who wish to remain anonymous, have donated hardware for site improvement. Dr. nate has been configuring it all in his secret lair. I don't know if any has been deployed yet, nor do I know if our internet provider change happened. At last report, nate thought that he would not need to move the servers physically to accomplish it. Also some changes are being contemplated to the way the 'business' of e2 is handled. Again, I don't know the details. I'll see if I can get an update on all that for the January log.

A word about the placement of this log

Some folks have requested that I post my editor logs under the current month, rather than back in the month summarized. I'm going to switch to doing that, even though it means I may have to edit and update these logs on the fly as the month goes on.

Next Log