Ready today and preparing for tomorrow, the U.S. Pacific Command enhances security and promotes peaceful development in the Asia-Pacific region by deterring aggression, responding to crises and fighting to win.

--Mission Statement, U.S. Pacific Command


The military shorthand for U.S. Pacific Command. Occasionally shortened to just "PACOM," pronounced "Pack-ahm". USPACOM is one of America's joint commands, defined geographically rather than functionally. It is the largest of the geographical commands, covering over 50% of the earth's surface and claiming 60% of the world's population in its Area of Responsibility. It extends from the west coast of America to the east coast of Africa, excluding waters north of 5° south and west of 68° east, from the Arctic to the Antarctic. PACOM's AOR also encloses the world's six largest armed forces: People's Republic of China, United States of America, Russia, India, Democratic People's Republic of Korea, and Republic of Korea.

As a joint command, PACOM is responsible for the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marine operations in their AOR: 300,000 people, approximately 20% of all American active duty military personnel. This includes bases in Japan, South Korea, Hawai'i, Alaska, and throughout the Pacific Ocean.

Because PACOM's AOR includes Madagascar, they are America's only joint command responsible for wild lemurs.