The problem here isn't one about the nature of God, or the nature of Evil. It is about the nature of human understanding in relation to these two, especially God.

We define evil as that which is harmful, or needlessly destructive, or maybe that which inflicts suffering. But as is apparent we are limited beings with crude linguistic and logical tools for dealing with a universe of infinite complexity, never mind the creator of such a universe.

The point is that what may seem good, is actually evil, and what seems good may actually be evil, but we cannot tell except by the impressions we receive from the events that occur through our limited timeframes. To apply the concept of evil, something that we cannot ever hope to realistically understand at a universal level as a refutation of God or His intentions is arrogant, fallacious, or more likely: both.

Perhaps evil is an illusion? And the the needless destruction that we see is just a reflection of our own selfish and limited desires against an ever-shifting background? We often describe evil in terms of ourselves, what about looking at it plainly? What makes something evil, apart from human intent? Can we really say anything about it? How do you punish someone for evil beyond the subjective infliction of more pain, or limiting freedom?

If we do not even know the answers to these, we cannot hope to understand the problem of evil.