The basic taxonomical unit of Baraminology (a subfield of Creation science), the baramin is to baraminology what a genus and/or species are to conventional non-creationist binomial nomenclature.

Each baramin is associated with a "kind" of animal named in Genesis, Leviticus, or Deuteronomy in the Old Testament.

Genesis 1:24–25 describes the creation of living things:
24: And God said: 'Let the earth bring forth the living creature after its kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after its kind. ' And it was so. 25: And God made the beast of the earth after its kind, and the cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the ground after its kind; and God saw that it was good.

Genesis 7:13–16 states that the cattle are a "kind," and in Deuteronomy 14:11–18, the owl, raven, and hawk are called separate "kinds." The Bible does not actually explain what a "kind" is.

Proponents of Baraminology claim that each "kind" of creature is unrelated in evolution to all the other "kinds," and that they are not able to interbreed - the latter of which assertion has been proven patently false in multiple instances. Baramin taxonomy also completely ignores DNA identifiers which clearly demonstrate relationships between species, and there are baramin which would identify relatively unrelated species as being part of the same immediate category, such as the jerboa and the kangaroo rat (which have obvious parallel evolution but very little in the way of close shared ancestry).

Iron Noder 2013, 26/30