In the eigth grade, my Health Class teacher offered ten extra credit points to anyone who could write down the Pledge of Allegiance all the way through with complete punctuation and perfect spelling. I failed.

His point, of course, was to challenge us to think about this thing we were reciting every day. And that was probably the first time I really looked at it.

Flags are obviously symbols. But symbols for what? Not for this nation. If I wanted to pledge allegiance to this nation, I'd just do that. It would read, simply: "I pledge allegiance to the United States of America...". The flag, to me, is a symbol of the ideals of this nation. The flag symbolizes everything this country should be. Everything this country strives to be, though it may fall short much of the time.

Furthermore, 'under God' to me does not refer to some Judeo-Christian Yahweh-type, divine, omnipotent being. It refers to my heart of hearts which is what tells me what's right and what's wrong. It refers to that which informs my ideals of what makes this the greatest nation. You know, things like freedom and courage as well as pluralism and tolerance.

So, after that day, I've tried to think about those things every time I recite the Pledge of Allegiance. Even when that sorta-goth kid who I thought was really cool would clasp his hands behind his back and bow his head, I would proudly cover my heart and hold my head high as I recited very mindfully these words that I'd known since kindergarten, but whose potency I hadn't before that one day in Health Class.

I don't say it much anymore, because I've since made a much bigger commitment, one that displays my heartfelt patriotism better than words can.

Of course, that's just what it means to me. By no means would I judge someone else for not saying it, or try to force anyone to say it. I'm not even condoning the practice of mass recital in public schools. I am, perhaps, challenging your blind refusal to pledge allegiance to the nation in which you implicitly choose to reside. Refusing to do something just because everyone else is is just as bad as conforming.