Triumph, more formally the Standard-Triumph Motor Company, built a series of wonderful sportscars from the 1920s through 1983. The firm was eventually owned by British Leyland, and based in Coventry, England. Some of their most popular models include the Stag, GT6, Spitfire, and the TR line (TR2 through TR8). The most popular model was the TR6, of which over 90,000 were sold in the U.S. alone.

Triumph is a plot well known to magicians who perform effects with playing cards. In Triumph, the magician tells the tale of a gambler who was skeptical of the magician's abilities, and challenges him to show a trick that the gambler can't figure out. The magician then tells how he had the gambler choose a playing card, the identity of which is unknown to him. As he tells this, he has a spectator pick a card. As the card is returned to the deck, he then tells of how the gambler demanded to shuffle the cards while the magician's back was turned. The magician states that while he was turned away, the gambler turned half the cards face up and shuffled them into the face-down cards, mixing the deck entirely. The magician does this to show how the deck is entirely disarrayed. The magician then tells of how he "triumphed" over the gambler by magically straightening out all the cards and finding the gambler's card all at the same time. So saying, the magician snaps his fingers, and when he spreads out the deck, all the cards are face down again except for one in the very center, the spectator's chosen card.

This effect was devised by Dai Vernon many years ago, and despite the literally thousands of variants produced by magicians since then, his method still stands as one of the best.

Tri"umph (?), n. [L. triumphus, OL. triumpus; of uncertain origin; cf. Gr. a procession in honor of Bacchus: cf. F. triomphe. Cf. Trump at cards.]

1. Rom. Antiq.

A magnificent and imposing ceremonial performed in honor of a general who had gained a decisive victory over a foreign enemy.

The general was allowed to enter the city crowned with a wreath of laurel, bearing a scepter in one hand, and a branch of laurel in the other, riding in a circular chariot, of a peculiar form, drawn by four horses. He was preceded by the senate and magistrates, musicians, the spoils, the captives in fetters, etc., and followed by his army on foot in marching order. The procession advanced in this manner to the Capitoline Hill, where sacrifices were offered, and victorious commander entertained with a public feast.

2.

Hence, any triumphal procession; a pompous exhibition; a stately show or pageant.

[Obs.]

Our daughter,
In honor of whose birth these triumphs are,
Sits here, like beauty's child.
Shak.

3.

A state of joy or exultation for success.

Great triumph and rejoicing was in heaven.
Milton.

Hercules from Spain
Arrived in triumph, from Geryon slain.
Dryden.

4.

Success causing exultation; victory; conquest; as, the triumph of knowledge.

5.

A trump card; also, an old game at cards.

[Obs.]

© Webster 1913.


Tri"umph, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Triumphed (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Triumphing.] [L. triumphare: cf. F. triompher. See Triumph, n.]

1.

To celebrate victory with pomp; to rejoice over success; to exult in an advantage gained; to exhibit exultation.

How long shall the wicked triumph?
Ps. xciv. 3.

Sorrow on thee and all the pack of you
That triumph thus upon my misery!
Shak.

2.

To obtain victory; to be successful; to prevail.

Triumphing over death, and chance, and thee, O Time.
Milton.

On this occasion, however, genius triumphed.
Macaulay.

3.

To be prosperous; to flourish.

Where commerce triumphed on the favoring gales.
Trumbull.

4.

To play a trump card.

[Obs.]

B. Jonson.

© Webster 1913.


Tri"umph, v. t.

To obtain a victory over; to prevail over; to conquer. Also, to cause to triumph.

[Obs.]

Two and thirty legions that awe
All nations of the triumphed word.
Massinger.

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.