In Team Fortress Classic, an area, usually of significant strategic importance, that is guarded by (generally two or more) sentry gun(s). Classic examples include flag rooms, capture points in invasion maps such as Avanti or Dustbowl, capture points in territorial control maps such as Canal Zone 2, and ramp rooms.
Sentry gun nest removal is often difficult and, as a rule, deadly. As each nest is different, there are no hard and fast rules, although there are general guidelines that may be of use:
- Grenades, especially MIRVs and concussion, are very effective when properly placed.
- Snipers and soldiers can take them out from outside detection range if viewable.
- Spies can drop a few grenades when incognito
- Demomen can launch explosives at them, with effectiveness inversely proportional to detection
- and, lastly, the one that usually happens when I play: the SuicidalHWGuy(tm) (me) can take it out in 0-15 deaths, depending on availability of above methods, number of SGs to eliminate, level of SGs, other enemy fire, etc.