is a Malay
word literally meaning "flattened bread" which is very descriptive of this staple food
to a big number of Malaysia
ns. You normally eat roti canai
with some form of curry
Simple recipe for roti canai follows:
- 1 egg
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsps ghee or butter
- 600 gms flour
- Sugar to taste
- Mix together flour, water, sugar and egg. Knead until a soft dough is formed.
- Form into small balls and keep overnight.
- When you are ready to make the roti canai, spread the ghee on the balls and flatten.
- Heat an iron griddle and fry the rotis individually until cooked.
- Serve hot with a curry or dhall.