I got held up at work again today, so I missed the no-transfer tram route home, and had to come out in downtown. I already had some food at home, but since I was already there, decided to go to the nearby grocery story to see if there's anything fresh. I picked up some pears, kale, pickled herring, and was choosing which bread to take, when a 40s something guy with desperate look came up to me, asking for help. I asked what help he needs. He said he needs some help with buying sausages. I was dumbfounded, but he clarified, that he got no money to pay for them. He added further, that he isn't asking for alcohol or tobacco, just sausages, so I agreed. Ended up paying for the bread he had with him as well, shook his hand and wished him luck. On my way to the tram station I began pondering, if lately people have been coming up to me for favors because I look like some gullible beta who can't say no. With these thoughts I hastened my step, since there wasn't much time till the next tram's arrival. I ended up running to the station. Behind me I heard someone say "Stop running". There was a young couple with a child in a stroller, and the wife apparently was trying to go fast as well. They were joking around. I made a short sprint to the first tram car, away from the second one, where they would be entering.


As I approached, suddenly a mass of people appeared in front of me, and by the time I managed to get in and beep my ticked, my usual place in the back was already packed. In fact, I didn't have much space to move around, all I could do was just hang near the entrance. Near me was a couple. I noticed them when entering, they appeared to be conversing in sign language. I tried to turn my back to me, away from the painful sight, but I could tell that he was repeatedly hugging her, as his hand brushed against me a few times, and I could hear some wet sound. I just tried to hold out looking away for the 15-20 minutes of the ride, my hand clenching the safety rail. On the next to last stop, the ticket, which was also in said hand, somehow flew out of it and landed near the tram doors. They opened and some people left. Nobody bothered to try and pick it up for me. As the tram started moving again, I stepped down the small steps in front of the door and kneeled, picking up the dirty ticket. As I rode till the last stop, my hand, clenching a rail again, unwillingly crumpled the ticket. I continued crumpling it as I went outside the tram.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.