A small figure (usually of a person or animal) which can be manipulated in such a manner that it appears to be alive. Puppets usually have a cloth body and a hollow head that fits over and is moved by the hand. Some of them, called marionettes, are moved by strings. Famous puppets include Punch and Judy, Pinocchio, and the Muppets.

Also, someone whose acts are controlled by an outside force or influence.

Pup"pet (?), n. [OE. popet, OF. poupette; akin to F. poup'ee a doll, probably from L. puppa, pupa, a girl, doll, puppet. Cf. Poupeton, Pupa, Pupil, Puppy.] [Written also poppet.]

1.

A small image in the human form; a doll.

2.

A similar figure moved by the hand or by a wire in a mock drama; a marionette; a wooden actor in a play.

At the pipes of some carved organ move, The gilded puppets dance. Pope.

3.

One controlled in his action by the will of another; a tool; -- so used in contempt.

Sir W. Scott.

4. Mach.

The upright support for the bearing of the spindle in a lathe.

Puppet master. Same as Puppetman. -- Puppet play, a puppet show. -- Puppet player, one who manages the motions of puppets. -- Puppet show, a mock drama performed by puppets moved by wires. -- Puppet valve, a valve in the form of a circular disk, which covers a hole in its seat, and opens by moving bodily away from the seat while remaining parallel with it, -- used in steam engines, pumps, safety valves, etc. Its edge is often beveled, and fits in a conical recess in the seat when the valve is closed. See the valves shown in Illusts. of Plunger pump, and Safety valve, under Plunger, and Safety.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.