At some point in history, someone did posit a posset for a cure. Here are four from the 1800s:

  • ALE POSSET.
    Beat up the yolks of ten eggs, and the whites of four; then put them into a quart of cream, mixed with a pint of ale. Grate some nutmeg into it, sweeten it with sugar, set it on the fire, and keep it stirring. When it is thick, and before it boils, take it off, and pour it into a china bason. This is called King William's Posset. A very good one may however be made by warming a pint of milk, with a bit of white bread in it, and then warming a pint of ale with a little sugar and nutmeg. When the milk boils, pour it upon the ale; let it stand a few minutes to clear, and it will make a fine cordial. (page 5)
  • SEVILLE ORANGE POSSET.
    Squeeze Seville orange or lemon juice into a glass dish, or mix them together if preferred, and sweeten it well with fine sugar. Then warm some cream over the fire, but do not let it boil. Put it into a teapot and pour it into the juice, holding the teapot up very high, that it may froth and curdle the better. Instead of cream, milk thickened with one or two yolks of eggs may be used, if more convenient. (page 350)
  • TREACLE POSSET.
    Add two table-spoonfuls of treacle to a pint of milk, and when ready to boil, stir it briskly over the fire till it curdles. Strain it off after standing covered a few minutes. This whey promotes perspiration, is suitable for a cold, and children will take it very freely. (page 443)
  • WINE POSSET.
    Boil some slices of white bread in a quart of milk. When quite soft, take it off the fire, grate in half a nutmeg, and a little sugar. Pour it out, and add by degrees a pint of sweet wine, and serve it with toasted bread. (page 488)

Side note: Nutmeg graters made with a trough, and sold by the ironmongers, are by far the best, especially for grating fine and fast. (page 220)


Everything2 medical disclaimer.


Source (excerpted from):
The Cook and Housekeeper's Complete and Universal Dictionary; Including a System of Modern Cookery, in all its Various Branches,
Adapted to the Use of Private Families: also a Variety of Original and Valuable information
by Mrs. Mary Eaton 1823


iron noder

Pos"set (?), n. [W. posel curdled milk, posset.]

A beverage composed of hot milk curdled by some strong infusion, as by wine, etc., -- much in favor formerly.

"I have drugged their posset."

Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pos"set, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Posseted; p. pr. & vb. n. Posseting.]

1.

To curdle; to turn, as milk; to coagulate; as, to posset the blood.

[Obs.]

Shak.

2.

To treat with possets; to pamper.

[R.] "She was cosseted and posseted."

O. W. Holmes.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.