Someone who always looks at everything from the bad side. They look for faults and problems, and always expect the worst. Always find something to complain about.

For example, they're the ones that would say that the glass is half empty. An idealistic pessimist would also complain that the half that's gone was wasted and that the other half isn't going to the people who need it.

Pessimists like myself usually don't like being called that. Realist is a more accurate term. I mean, in reality, chances are that something undesirable will happen. Just look in the newspaper if you don't believe me. Realists are aware of the fact that the deck is stacked against them and don't live in some idealist fantasy world. A realist is always prepared for the worst, and therefore is not disappointed when it happens. If by some off chance something good does happen, a realist truly recognizes and appreciates it a lot more, because it is an unexpected surprise. Remember, "A smile makes a lousy umbrella".

Pes"si*mist (?), n. [L. pessimus worst: cf. F. pessimiste.]

1. Metaph.

One who advocates the doctrine of pessimism; -- opposed to optimist.

2.

One who looks on the dark side of things.

 

© Webster 1913.


Pes"si*mist (?), Pes`si*mis"tic (?), a. Metaph.

Of or pertaining to pessimism; characterized by pessimism; gloomy; foreboding.

"Giving utterance to pessimistic doubt."

Encyc. Brit.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.