I always have some of this syrup on hand in the dessert larder for three reasons. Firstly, it is deliciously addictive, secondly, it can accompany a myriad of sweets with grace, from a humble bowl of ice cream to something a lot more decadent. Finally, it lasts for ages, so once it is made you will have a wonderful garnish for desserts at hand for months.

This syrup is basically a toffee sauce that has been infused with the rind and juice of oranges, but any citrus fruit will work. Try limes or lemons. It is also easy enough for a novice cook to try, so you have no excuses, lets go.

Ingredients

  • 4 nice ripe oranges
  • 2 Cups caster (superfine) sugar
  • 2 Tbs Orange liqueur, optional (Try Cointreau or Grand Marnier.)

    Method

    If you own a funky little gadget called a citrus zester, use this to remove the zest from the oranges. If not, don't despair, the second method achieves a superior result anyway. Using a vegetable peeler, remove the peel from the oranges. With a small sharp knife, remove any white pith that is clinging to the peel, as it is bitter. Now, with your sharpest knife, cut the peel into the finest slices you can manage. This is called a chiffonade. Don't worry if you can't get them superfine, it will all work out in the end.

    Once all the peel has been finely sliced, drop into a saucepan with cold water to cover. Bring to the boil and strain. This removes any residual bitterness in the peel. Juice the oranges and strain.

    Place the sugar in a heavy based saucepan with 100 ml (½ cup) water. Set over high heat and stir until the sugar has completely dissolved. Once the liquid is completely clear, do not stir again. This will make the syrup cloudy. Allow the syrup to boil at high heat and watch like a hawk. It will begin to caramelize after about four or five minutes. Swirl the pot to ensure that the syrup caramelizes evenly. Once the whole syrup is a deep golden colour you need to halt the cooking process so the syrup doesn't burn. Very carefully pour in the orange juice. It will spit and bubble violently. After a few seconds it will calm down. Add the liqueur at this stage if using. Finally, add the peel and simmer for five minutes. Pour into a heatproof container and cool.

    Store covered in the refrigerator for up to six months.

  • I made orange syrup recently, and it turned out pretty good. My way is somewhat different, less fancy, and much simpler than sneff's super fancy way. It works well on french toast and waffles, and less well on pancakes, and makes an awesome addition to lemonade, or a substitute to the sugar. Without further ado, I present you with:

    Delta-Sys's recipe of orange syrup:

    1/2 Cup of white sugar
    3/4 cup of pulp-less orange juice
    zest of one orange
    about 2 tablespoons of lemon juice

    Put everything in a pot, mix a little, turn on low heat and don't touch it. When everything is dissolved, skim the scuz from the top, and keep it over very low heat for another 3 or 4 minutes. Take it off, straining the zest, if you care to, and refrigerate. It gets thicker as it cools.

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.