A style of prepared coffee invented in Australia.

Flat by comparison to a cappuccino and with no chocolate sprinkles of any kind, it bears some similarities to the Australian version of a cafe latte (the American cousin of the extraordinarily dissimilar Italian caffe latte). I always have a chuckle at the Australian/American spelling because it combines French coffee with Italian milk -- whoever invented that must have been really fussy!

The flat white differs from an Australian cafe latte by aspiring to plainness of presentation. It has a thinner layer of froth, and is generally not decorated with hearts, Christmas trees or other ornate patterns.

An espresso-based coffee drink


"A flat white has [50%] more milk than a cortado but less foam than a cappuccino"
Roastely


Originating in either New Zealand or Australia (there is something of a dispute over that!), it is one or two shots of espresso into which is energetically poured about four to six ounces of steamed milk. On the face of it, it sounds like a caffe latte, but has slightly less milk, and frequently, no foam, hence "flat", or very little (hence traditionally no latte art. Posing this question to Antonio (my barista just now), at least in this café that seems to be true. Further research (thanks, Jaqueline!) confirms that there is a spectrum of flat-white drinks and my preference is in the middle of that. This drink varies depending on where you order it and who makes the drink. For me it's a little larger than a cortado (partly because I prefer two shots, and partly because usually there's a little more milk).

It's a nice change from a latte for people who like me are not fans of too much microfoam, and don't really care about the art. It's rich and creamy, needing only some biscotti for a perfect coffee experience.

What it isn't

Peet's has the 'American flat white' - the same as a latte except with ristretto shot, whole milk, and light foam. comes in 12oz, 16oz, 20oz (none of which are the correct proportions); the microfoam should be velvety and creamy but not too foamy—but baristas weren't trained on this distinction. Starbucks' version came out several years earlier—it was in an 8oz cup which was at least closer than Peets in that respect. Aesthetically, they leave a brown dot where the shot is poured through the milk.




C-Dawg says re flat white: Don't know why they don't just call that "coffee milk" ;) Because that would be a cafe au lait


For Brevity QUest 2024

$ xclip -o | wc -w
294

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.