Ex*tend" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Extended; p. pr. & vb. n. Extending.] [L. extendere, extentum, extensum; ex out + tendere to stretch. See Trend.]

1.

To stretch out; to prolong in space; to carry forward or continue in length; as, to extend a line in surveying; to extend a cord across the street.

Few extend their thoughts toward universal knowledge'. Locke.

2.

To enlarge, as a surface or volume; to expand; to spread; to amplify; as, to extend metal plates by hammering or rolling them.

3.

To enlarge; to widen; to carry out further; as, to extend the capacities, the sphere of usefulness, or commerce; to extend power or influence; to continue, as time; to lengthen; to prolong; as, to extend the time of payment or a season of trail.

4.

To hold out or reach forth, as the arm or hand.

His helpless hand extend. Dryden.

5.

To bestow; to offer; to impart; to apply; as, to extend sympathy to the suffering.

6.

To increase in quantity by weakening or adulterating additions; as, to extend liquors.

G. P. Burnham.

7. Eng.Law

To value, as lands taken by a writ of extent in satisfaction of a debt; to assign by writ of extent.

Extended letter Typog., a letter, or style of type, having a broader face than is usual for a letter or type of the same height.

⇒ This is extended type.

Syn. -- To increase; enlarge; expand; widen; diffuse. See Increase.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.