To draw a maze, first create some kind of outer shell with two holes--one that will function as a start and another as a finish. This shell determines the overall shape of your maze, so make it something interesting to look at.

To add complexity, you have to draw internal lines, following one simple rule: any and every line you draw must be connected to some other line at one of its ends. That is, you should draw lines that branch out from a line that was already drawn.

This forces your first line to be connected to some part of your outer shell, but your second line could be connected to either the shell or the first line. Your third line could be connected to either the shell, first, or second line...

Go ahead and go crazy drawing lines. The more lines there are, the harder the maze becomes. A very fine tipped pencil or pen will allow for extremely complex mazes. It helps to leave the open end of lines at places people are likely to come to traversing the maze. This forces them to make a decision between at least two corridors... one is correct, the others must be wrong.

Using this one rule, there will always be one and only one pathway from the start to the finish. Any line you draw without connections to other lines will not affect the navigation through the maze, but it could add certain aesthetic qualities. Any line you draw that has two connections presents an opportunity to block off the correct pathway from start to finish. It is something to be avoided.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.