Step 1: Click and drag over this text:
A glass of water costs 5¢ here.

Step 2: Click on the Edit menu at the top of your browser window and click Copy, or press Command+C on a Macintosh, or Control+C on a Windows computer. This will place that text on the clipboard.

Step 3: Open a word processor.

Step 4: Click on the Edit menu at the top of the word processor window, just as you did with the browser, and click Paste, or press Command+V on a Macintosh, or Control+V on a Windows computer.

You should now see in your word processor:
A glass of water costs 5¢ here.
 It will still be saved to the clipboard, so you could Paste it over and over if you wanted to. This is very useful if you don't want to type something after you've already typed it once. Keep in mind that it is not limited to the text you just Copied.

Cop"y (?), n.; pl. Copies (#). [F. copie, fr. L. copia abundance, number, LL. also, a transcript; co- + the root of opes riches. See Opulent, and cf. Copious.]

1.

An abundance or plenty of anything.

[Obs.]

She was blessed with no more copy of wit, but to serve his humor thus.
B. Jonson.

2.

An imitation, transcript, or reproduction of an original work; as, a copy of a letter, an engraving, a painting, or a statue.

I have not the vanity to think my copy equal to the original.
Denham.

3.

An individual book, or a single set of books containing the works of an author; as, a copy of the Bible; a copy of the works of Addison.

4.

That which is to be imitated, transcribed, or reproduced; a pattern, model, or example; as, his virtues are an excellent copy for imitation.

Let him first learn to write, after a copy, all the letters.
Holder.

5. print.

Manuscript or printed matter to be set up in type; as, the printers are calling for more copy.

6.

A writing paper f a particular size. Same as Bastard. See under Paper.

7.

Copyhold; tenure; lease.

[Obs.]

Shak.

Copy book, a book in which copies are written or printed for learners to imitate. -- Examined copies Law, those which have been compared with the originals. -- Exemplified copies, those which are attested under seal of a court. -- CertifiedOffice copies, those which are made or attested by officers having charge of the originals, and authorized to give copies officially.

Abbot.

Syn. -- Imitation; transcript; duplicate; counterfeit.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cop"y (?), v. t. [imp. & p.p. Copied (?); p.pr. & vb.n. Copying.] [Cf. F. copir, fr. LL. copiare. See Copy, n.]

1.

To make a copy or copies of; to write; print, engrave, or paint after an original; to duplicate; to reproduce; to transcribe; as, to copy a manuscript, inscription, design, painting, etc.; -- often with out, sometimes with off.

I like the work well; ere it be demanded (As like enough it will), I'd have it copied.
Shak.

Let this be copied out,
And keep it safe for our remembrance.
Shak.

2.

To imitate; to attempt to resemble, as in manners or course of life.

We copy instinctively the voices of our companions, their accents, and their modes of pronunciation.
Stewart.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cop"y, v. i.

1.

To make a copy or copies; to imitate.

2.

To yield a duplicate or transcript; as, the letter did not copy well.

Some . . . never fail, when they copy, to follow the bad as well as the good things.
Dryden.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.