complementation (verb, to complementate): the process, the converse of identification, of becoming and functioning differently than, and in reciprocation to someone else, by responding to that person's activities, behavior, and reactions. The term is applied especially to the differentiation of G-I/R (gender-identity/role). 2. the process of becoming unlike, or reciprocated to someone else, the converse of identification, by reacting to that person's activities, behavior and reactions. The term is applied especially to the differentiation of G-I/R (gender-identity/role). See also identification.

Dictionary of Sexology Project: Main Index

In set theory, complementation is the function that, given a set, produces its complement, that is, everything that is not in the set.

This only makes sense given some known universe of elements that the first set is assumed to draw its elements from.

For example, complementing the odd numbers produces the even numbers, but only under the assumption that we are working within the natural numbers.

  1. The ability of two unrelated single strands of DNA or RNA to pair with each other and become double stranded, due to the coincidental matching of an adequate number of nucleotide base pairs between the single strands.

  2. In terms of genetics, the ability of one mutation to compensate for another, unrelated mutation. See also genetic complementation and cis-trans test.

From the BioTech Dictionary at http://biotech.icmb.utexas.edu/. For further information see the BioTech homenode.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.