This is a French pie crust dough made with eggs and butter. It is used in quiches and as crusts and timbales. One recipe is below:

Ingredients

2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sifted cake flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
3/4 cup butter, at room temperature (pliable)
1 egg
ice water

Instructions

1. Sift together flours, salts and sugar. Put into large mixing bowl. Make a hole in the center. Add butter and cut into flour with your fingers. Blend in the egg, and add sufficient water to make a firm dough.
2. Once dough is made, take the heel of your hand and push the dough out away from you in small bits. Do this twice then shape dough into a ball and wrap in foil. Refrigerate] overnight.
3. When ready to use roll on a lightly floured surface. Makes 2 8-inch pie shells, 12 tarts or 1 timbale.

In Italian we call this pasta brisé. The fun bit is that it usually happens as a failed feuilletée dough (pasta sfoglia) attempt: when, either trough bad kneading technique or hot weather the butter gets uniformly mixed with the flour (instead of forming layers), a brilliant cook may simply knead it all together and decide that instead of erbazzone there will be some sort of quiche on the menu.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.