A kind of paint brush as opposed to say a flat, a round, a fan or possibly a liner. Generally when painting in mediums of oil color or acrylic.

A bright technically is a cross between a flat and a round, closer to the round side with a tapered end. This brush is usually used for the larger portions of the canvas, as in laying in the object or subject of the painting.

Bright (?), v. i.

See Brite, v. i.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bright (?), a. [OE. briht, AS. beorht, briht; akin to OS. berht, OHG. beraht, Icel. bjartr, Goth. ba�xa1;rhts. &root;94.]

1.

Radiating or reflecting light; shedding or having much light; shining; luminous; not dark.

The sun was bright o'erhead. Longfellow.

The earth was dark, but the heavens were bright. Drake.

The public places were as bright as at noonday. Macaulay.

2.

Transmitting light; clear; transparent.

From the brightest wines He 'd turn abhorrent. Thomson.

3.

Having qualities that render conspicuous or attractive, or that affect the mind as light does the eye; resplendent with charms; as, bright beauty.

Bright as an angel new-dropped from the sky. Parnell.

4.

Having a clear, quick intellect; intelligent.

5.

Sparkling with wit; lively; vivacious; shedding cheerfulness and joy around; cheerful; cheery.

Be bright and jovial among your guests. Shak.

6.

Illustrious; glorious.

In the brightest annals of a female reign. Cotton.

7.

Manifest to the mind, as light is to the eyes; clear; evident; plain.

That he may with more ease, with brighter evidence, and with surer success, draw the bearner on. I. Watts.

8.

Of brilliant color; of lively hue or appearance.

Here the bright crocus and blue violet grew. Pope.

Bright is used in composition in the sense of brilliant, clear, sunny, etc.; as, bright-eyed, bright-haired, bright-hued.

Syn. -- Shining; splending; luminous; lustrous; brilliant; resplendent; effulgent; refulgent; radiant; sparkling; glittering; lucid; beamy; clear; transparent; illustrious; witty; clear; vivacious; sunny.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bright, n.

Splendor; brightness.

[Poetic]

Dark with excessive bright thy skirts appear. Milton.

 

© Webster 1913.


Bright, adv.

Brightly.

Chaucer.

I say it is the moon that shines so bright. Shak.

 

© Webster 1913.


Brite, Bright (?), v. t.

To be or become overripe, as wheat, barley, or hops.

[Prov. Eng.]

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.