I embrace my desire to
feel the rhythm, to feel connected
enough to step aside and weep like a widow
to feel inspired, to fathom the power,
to witness the beauty, to bathe in the fountain,
to swing on the spiral
of our divinity and still be a human.

With my feet upon the ground I lose myself
between the sounds and open wide to suck it in,
I feel it move across my skin.
I'm reaching up and reaching out,
I'm reaching for the random or whatever will bewilder me.
And following our will and wind we may just go where no one's been.
We'll ride the spiral to the end and may just go where no one's been.
Spiral out... keep going...

- “Lateralus” by Tool

For an assignment so philosophical and analytical I really felt the need the quote a portion of the personally inspiring and insightful lyrics of my favourite musical group, Tool. Whether people want to accept it or not, their lyrics can really help shed new light onto subjects exactly like these. However, they are often disregarded because of their unpopular more driving rock style.

Regardless, I believe that we, as humans, are really here to experience everything that we can. We have desires as a society, and especially personally, that make our lives what they are. We are here to experience life with our emotions and feel everything that there is like we feel we can do so specially as humans. “To feel connected, to feel inspired, to fathom the power,” as the song goes. We need to be aware of all this, and still know that we really are almost divine beings in this universe, “to swing on the spiral of our divinity and still be a human.”

Whether we like it our not, we feel it and we really do reach for more everyday of our lives, “reaching for the random or whatever will bewilder me.” We’re constantly striving for that which will make our existence better developed and even what will make us look deeper and “bewilder” us so. Anything we come across changes us and makes us look at everything a different way, no matter how insignificant it would seem at the time. Everything has its place in time and space, but this is going a bit on the subject of fate.

I suppose that all of this brings me to my major point that we are all really here to create improved existences for ourselves, for each other, and those in the future. As such we need to explore our possibilities and “following our will and wind we may just go where no one’s been” and this would ultimately bring us further to ultimate self- and collective-enlightenment. And as we “spiral out” of our lives, we still “keep going” in our presence to the rest of everybody and this will continue for as long as humans are a species.

 

This was written as a one page personal response for my grade 12 English class based on a series of philosophical and downright unanswerable questions. The Tool lyrics weren't necessary, but I wanted to try something no one else might've done. Also, I didn't say my theory was right, this is just the way I can personally express the idea most logically.

Node your homework.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.