In some 16-bit and beyond video games
if you let the main character you are controlling stand still for a few moments, sometimes you'll see him or her react to being motionless. Some will be impatient at the hold up, while others will take the time to take a break. These little animation
s are a little easter egg
for the player to enjoy.
Video Game Idle Animation List
Knuckles the Echidna
- Sonic 2 and 3: Looks at the player and yawns
- Super Mario 64: Sits down, falls asleep, and mutters about ravioli, pasta, and lasagna. Eventually he falls over and lays down.
- Super Mario Sunshine: Sits down and falls asleep.
- Luigi's Mansion: Breathes, and the cold air make a little cloud in front of his face. Sometimes he shivers.
Toejam and Earl
- Terranigma: Taps his foot and looks at the player.
- Toejam and Earl: Both characters will fall asleep. Sometimes instead they will dance. Often Earl's pants will fall down.
- Commander Keen 4: Sits down, takes out a book, and reads. In the Temple of the Moon level, Keen will pull his pants down and moon the player!
- All Spyro games: looks back at the player with snarky expression, sits down, and scratches his ear.
- Conker's Bad Fur Day: Plays with a Gameboy, a yo-yo, and a magazine. Sometimes he'll look at his watch and say "Nope, still can't tell time." He's known to drink a can of soda, then kick it at the camera (bonk). Sometimes he'll even whistle along with the theme music.
- Earthworm Jim: Uses himself as a jump rope; plays with his gun and accidentially shoots himself
Contributors: Servo5678, Glowing Fish, drenehtsral, gnarl, Milen, kinglink, Andromache01, Chris-O, sam512, and JediPhil683
If you know of a unique or famous animation I've left off, feel free to /msg me about it. However, this can't be a list of every animation ever as that list would be huge.