"Tomorrow and Tomorrow" is a science fiction novel written by Charles Sheffield and published by Bantam Spectra. It was copywrited in 1997.

Living in the early 21st century Drake Merlin had two joys in life: composing music, and his wife Anastasia. But suddenly his fairy tale life is interrupted by something unforseen; Ana has contracted a fatal disease-and there is no cure. No cure now that is, but what about in the future? Drake decides to have Ana cryogenically frozen, and knowing that he could never live without her, freezes himself too.

He awakens time and time again, each time finding a new and unique human civilization, until finally there is a cure. But wait, something went wrong with her freeze, and it cannot be fixed in the present. So it is back to sleep for Drake Merlin, this time in the hard drive of a computer (three to be exact, lest quantum fluctuations alter his mind.)

His journey through time continues until he is awakened millions of years into the future. Humanity has spread across the entire galaxy, and the population has surpassed 600 trillion. But hundreds of star systems are losing contact every day as an invisible and seemingly unstoppable enemy creeps across the Milky Way. But the words for such mundane concepts as weapons, and war no longer exist. People have forgotten how to fight, and it is up to Drake Merlin, a remnant of humanity's bloody, forgotten past to assemble and lead humanity in a struggle for survival.

One last note I didn't mention in the original writeup. The title is derived from William Shakespeare's Macbeth. The passage reads:

She should* have died hereafter.
There would have been a time for such a word.
Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow
creeps in this petty pace from day to day
to the last syllable of recorded time.
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
the way to dusty death. Out! Out! Brief candle.
Life's but a walking shadow.
A poor player that struts and frets
his hour upon the stage and then is heard no more.
It is a tale, told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
signifying nothing.

*Should means would in this passage

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.