An editorial columnist for the New York Times who espouses a mind-numbingly boring 90s style centrism that leaves the reader wondering 'What the hell was the point of reading that?'

Friedman grew up in Minnesota and, by his own admsssion, has the accent of the characters in Fargo. He was formerly a foreign affairs correspondent for the Times, in which he drew on his experiences to write The Lexus and the Olive Tree, where he articulated his views in favor of corporate globalization. He became an outspoken advocate of the standard Neoliberal party line that open and unfettered markets bring democracy and an increased standard of living to nations.

However, Friedman has been known to change his tune, and in an interview in 2000 with Civilization Magazine, seemed to concede that unfettered markets and neocolonialism at the hands of the World Bank alone might not be the solution to the ills of the Third World. In the interview, he appealed to his 'progressive Minnesota roots.' However, he has since returned to whole-hearted support of corporate globalization, to the consternation of the left.

On the domestic front, however, it is conservatives that Friedman drives to fits, with his earth-shattering positions against massive Bush-era deficits, the steady creep toward theocracy, and the plundering of the environment for Cheney's cronies.

Basically, Friedman has nothing to say domestically that Paul Krugman hasn't already said 100 times better, and nothing to say internationally that can't be found in The Economist. But without his column how would we be kept abreast of his daughter's progress through grade school?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.