was in episode twelve of the first series of Monty Python
, first broadcast on 4 January 1970. The contestant
s included Nigel Incubator-Jones
(played by Terry Jones
), and the eventual winner Gervaise Brooke-Hamster
(played by Michael Palin
); the others' names differed in the script and in the Big Red Book
. In the book John Cleese
is shown as Nigel Nigel Hyphen Hyphen Stroke Money
, a really excellent twit
, winner in 1961, and who beat a boy to death at Eton
for being middle class
The twelve obstacles on the course are
- The Start. It takes quite a bit of explaining to get them to realize they have to start when the starter fires the starting gun.
- The Straight Lines. Hard part is not falling over.
- The Matchbox Jump. The matchboxes are piled three high.
- Kicking the Beggar. Hard part is stopping once the beggar's down.
- Hunt Ball Photograph. Hard parts are kissing the deb and facing the camera.
- Reversing into the Old Lady. One of the easier ones. Incidentally, a firm in Surbiton supplies the old ladies.
- Slamming the Car Door to Wake the Neighbour.
- Insulting the Waiter.
- The Bar. Getting under a bar five feet above the ground.
- Shooting the Rabbits. The rabbits are tied to the ground but it still requires an immense barrage with a shotgun to have any chance here.
- Taking the Bra off the Debs. These days dummies are used instead of debutantes because of the danger of over-excitement.
- Shooting themselves.