I believe that there should be a story for every recipe. It gives depth and history to the taste and smell of the finished product. I attained this belief from my Grandmother, who passed on luscious recipes such as ‘the peach cobbler that killed the cat’, ‘the BBQ sauce that can get your car to work’ and my favorite ‘Pickles to keep the mosquitoes away’. Perhaps someday I will delve into that green flip-top container of granny’s recipes and bless each and every one of you with a taste of history. Today, instead I am going to impress upon you the story behind the lost chip cookies.

It all started one summer back in Texas. It was about 103 degrees and the humidity was 100%. A small group of my friends and I were out at lake Travis, at the regular spot.

Lake Travis, is a large, extremely clear lake surrounded by limestone cliffs. Our regular spot was located at bathroom number 3, in the Pace Bend county park. There is a nice big parking lot, plenty of space for camping and campfires and a view of the lake from atop a 40 foot cliff. We have a trail that can take us down to a spit, that allows us to be fairly close to water level, for drinking and swimming activities. Its also popular to try your luck at cliff diving across the inlet to the left.

This particular night, we had all planned to camp and eat the magic cookies that I had whipped up the day before. These magic cookies where Chocolate Chip Cookies mixed with what is scientifically known as Cannabis Sativa.

Here is where several people decide to downvote me and declare to themselves that I am a pothead kid that would do anything for a buck. Ahh well, let me tell you that this story is true and this is what I would imagine to be a common tale of a college youth.

We had a blast that day on the rocks, drinking Celis Pale Bock and floating on various floating apparatuses. We had a diving contest to see who could reach the bottom of the lake, next to the cliff. We played fetch with a friend’s dog. We were a bunch of kids having a good time.

One thing about Pace Bend park, the cops sometimes frequent the swimming holes. They usually never bother anyone, I guess they are merely checking for unlicensed fisherman. This particular day at the lake, the officer came climbing down the trail behind me, while I was puffing on a joint. I turned to see who was coming and exhaled in his general vicinity. My mouth was agape when he announced to me that smoking pot was illegal, and that he needed to search all of our backpacks and coolers.

All of my friends gathered around. The usual response was heard “why are you bothering us when there are thieves and killers on our streets right now?”; I also heard “pot is a plant, you can’t ban a plant, it’s a plant”. Well given that the cop has heard all of this before and was determined to reprimand us in some way, he proceeded with his search.

The cop found about 3 or 4 bags of weed, one bag of mushrooms and some odd looking herbal cigarettes. He gave us the regular speech about how he could haul us all in and we could be jailed and fined. After his speech and the self reassurance that he was the man in charge, he only gave us warnings.

For the most part all of us were pleased with this. I mean, its not very fun getting hauled to jail for possession. In an act of reverse-generosity, I offered the chocolate chip cookies to him. To my total surprise he accepted them. I wasn’t sure at that point to take back my offer, or if one of my friends would speak up and tell him not to eat them or what. It ended with total silence on our behalf and a chipper cop trekking his way back up the cliff to his car.

We were all lost in thought, each of us had this funny little grin on our face. No one said anything until we were all quite sure he had driven away. It was instant laughter for about 30 minutes.

By this time it was almost dark and we started gathering near the fire at the campsite. We drank and told stories; we yelled and a few of us danced naked (but that’s another story). The cop incedent was long since forgotten, until he drove up again.

It was around midnight and we were all drunk as skunks when we saw that cop pulling into our site. I know that my heart dropped a few beats, thinking that he was coming to get me. He approached us, looked us over as my friend Rene said “How’s it going?”. The cop replied with “its going great, just great”. He went on to tell us about how he had been hanging out with this other group of campers, but that they decided to go to bed. He also pointed out how he took a liking to one of the girls he had met that night. Most of what came out of his mouth took some deciphering to understand, but one thing we all knew for sure was that this cop had eaten the cookies.

Now this is where I think I should leave the rest of the story up to your imagination. One thing that I would like to point out is the fact that we have been buddies with this cop ever since that night.


This makes about 18 cookies, scale as needed.

Ingredients

2 Cups all Purpose flour
1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
3/4 Cup Unsalted Butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1/16 – 1/4 ounce of your favorite reefer.

Directions

Ok first things first, notice the varying amount of marijuana that you can use. I suggest using a lower amount if this is your first time. EATING MARIJUANA CAN BE EXTREMELY OVERWHELMING! Which is to say, you should experiment with this before plopping a pile of pot cookies on the table for the weekend BBQ, you might just end up with 15 sleeping bodies for a day or so. Also, some people have naturally accelerated heart rates due to eating pot, so please folks, for Jah's sake don't let people eat the cake if they don't know what's in it!

Firs thing you want to do is prepare the pot. Get a nice frying pan. One lined with Teflon or any non-stick surface. Throw about a half a stick of butter into the pan. Here is where it gets tricky, in fact some stoves will not even work for this. The heat has to be extremely low. If it's a gas stove, the flames have to be hardly visible, if its an electric stove put it on low and elevate the pan with something non-flammable. Basically you want it low enough not to burn off the butter, but more importantly not to damage the THC glands. Melt the butter. Look at the butter before placing the pot in it. A good way to judge the correct temperature is to watch for a bubble in the butter once every second or so, no more. Throw the pot into the butter and stir it around. The cooking of the pot is an important step in the recipe. You can ruin the pot, but you can also render the pot better than it was before. What I mean by that is the chemical change in the THC glands, by the use of heat can, if done perfectly, render every gland in the bag potent. I wont go into this heat-THC gland thing, but trust me, the slower and longer you simmer this pot, the more potent it will be.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
Grease a cookie sheet or some foil.
Sift the flour, baking soda and the salt in a bowl (set aside).
Cream together the melted butter, white sugar and brown sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg and egg yolk until creamy. Stir in the sifted ingredients until just blended.
Stir in the chocolate chips with a wooden spoon.
Stir in the pot mixture.
Drop about a ¼ cup of dough for each cookie on the sheet. The cookies should be about 3 inches apart.
Now, throw them into the oven and bake them for about 15 minutes.
Let them cool for a few minutes.

Enjoy.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.