An association of seven locally oriented, regionally based, autonomous Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual/Transgendered (GLBT) science fiction clubs across the U.S., with several other clubs in the U.S. and abroad classified as "Friends of the Network," which do not have official affiliate status in the Network.
History of the Network
The Network was formed at the September 1986 WorldCon by members of the Boston Gaylaxian Science Fiction Society. Two years later the Boston group sponsored the very first GLBT science fiction convention, in Provincetown, MA. Named Gaylaxicon, this con has expanded to cover not just science fiction and fantasy, but also horror, anime, comics, etc. Gaylaxicon is not held every year, and the location varies from one to the next depending on which Network affilate is the sponsoring organization. There have been 11 Gaylaxicons since the first, the most recent as of this writeup having been held in 2000 in Arlington, VA.
Taken directly from the Network's web site (www.gaylactic-network.org)
The Gaylactic Network has the following goals:
- To promote science fiction, fantasy, and horror, and other related genres (SF/F/H) in all forms, with particular attention to materials of interest to Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual/Transgendered (GLBT) people.
- To provide forums for GLBT people and their friends to share their interest in SF/F/H.
- To promote the presence of GLBT elements within SF/F/H and within fandom.
- To promote SF/F/H within GLBT communities.
The Network also annually presents the Spectrum Awards, inaugurated in 1998, to honor works in science fiction, fantasy and horror that include positive explorations of GLBT characters, themes or issues.
- Gaylaxian Science Fiction Society, Boston, MA - Founding organization
- Golden Gate Gaylaxians, San Francisco, CA
- Lambda Sci-Fi: DC Area Gaylaxians, Washington, DC
- Niagara Falls Gaylactic Colonizers, Niagara Falls, NY
- North Country Gaylaxians, Minneapolis, MN
- OutWorlders: Atlanta Area Gaylaxians, Atlanta, GA
- Planet LAmbda, Los Angeles, CA
Friends of the Network
- The Alternate Universe (TAU), Albany, NY
- Great Lakes Gaylaxians, Michigan
- Kindred Spirits Gateway Gaylaxians, St. Louis, MO
- Outer Fandom, Denver, CO
- Philly GalaxySurfers, Philadelphia, PA
- Spaced Out, Melbourne, Australia
- Tewksbury, MA
- Guests of Honor: Samuel R. Delany (author)
Hannah M.G. Shapero (artist)
- Attendees: ~245
Gaylaxicon IV ('92)
Gaylaxicon V ('94)
Gaylaxicon VI ('95)
Gaylaxicon VII ('96)
Gaylaxicon Lite ('97)
Gaylaxicon 8 ('98)
Gaylaxicon 1999 - The Tenth Gaylaxicon