I made the fatal mistake of wearing some new clothes to my Mother's house.
Mum said "Oh, those are new, aren't they?"
There was a whole cryptonomicon's worth of information in those words, complimented by a whole self help manual of body and facial language. I shall endeavour to translate for those who weren't there:
- "Well the colours are nice"
- "But I would have chosen something different"
- "So you've got money now?"
- "Does this mean you'll be paying back some of the money you owe me?"
- "Has this put you in debt?"
- "I assume you'll be wanting me to bail you out at some point in the future?"
- "Ah, You've got a girlfriend"
- "When do I meet her?"
- "Mmmm, GrandChildren"
- "What will I wear to the Wedding?"
- "If you bothered to buy new clothes, why didn't you shave and get a hair cut?"
- "So army green is in then?"
- "You do look a little like a college student"
- "Does this mean you are going to University?"