A TV show that used to be on Channel 4
in the UK
on Friday nights in the late nineties. They tried to tell us the title meant "Thank Four It's Friday", but we all knew what the "F" really stood for...
It featured Chris Evans
doing celebrity interviews
, interspersed with live music
and mad stunts
. The interview room was small and very crowded with a bar, and various celebrities and members of the public. Almost everyone in England who was born around 1980 remembers this show.
The show stands out for the following reasons:
- Wiiiiiiiiill: The show's producer was called Will Macdonald, and one episode Chris realised that every one of Will's ideas was great, so he invented the catchphrase "Wiiiiiiiiill", to be repeated while everyone pointed at Will. This took the nation by storm, and schoolkids all over the country started saying it while all pointing at their friends called Will (like me). People still say "Wiiiiiiiiill" to me today.
- Ugly blokes: Ugly men would write in to be on the show, and a gorgeous girl would come on and ask them out. They would then reply "I'm sorry love, you're just not my type".
- Fat Lookalikes: Fat people who looked like celebrities.
- Ickle: A word Chris invented to mean "little". Became very popular with the many fans of the show.
- Freak or Unique?: People with bizarre talents, like being able to instantly repeat all the words in a sentence in alphabetical order.
- It's your letters: The letters section of the show, with "It's your letters" being sung to the tune of the chorus in Reef's "Place Your Hands". Actually, Reef sung it for the show.
- Geri Halliwell and Kylie Minogue kissing: They did an impromptu arm wrestle, and instead of one of them beating the other one, they had a full on snog!
It's still on, but without Chris Evans
, and is now terrible.